Saturday, April 18, 2009

I might resign.......

Don't worry as of 19th April 2009 11:50AM I don't have any plans to resign, but I had one interesting experience to share. Was talking to someone who happens to be very honest and that someone mentioned that he has a different road map after few years down the road.

Have you ever joined a job and in the interview after the offer was made, you mentioned that I am going to quit this company after so many number of years?

Well I had done that once, I was interviewed at one of my previous company in US and when they offered me, I told them that I am happy to take the offer (in 2002) but I am going to quit on Aug 2003, what was running in my mind that if someone has confidence on me, let me share what all I know so that he won't get disappointed. Well I still got that job and left it on Aug 2003 to move back to India.

I don't think in today's age or world someone will be surprised if you tell him that I am not planning to work in one company forever, it is a global truth and employee and employer have accepted it gracefully.

There are certain things in life which we all know are going to happen, it is just the matter of time, we just don't know when it will happen.

1) What if you knew that you are going to die on a certain day? Will you enjoy rest of your life till that day comes? Most probably, yes

2) What if you knew that one of your close friend is going to move out of the city for better opportunity and after that you might be able to meet him once in a year? Will you try to enjoy every moment? I guess, yes

3) What if you knew that you might have health issues in next week, will you start taking a bit more care? I think you should.

But all the above scenarios are "what if", I mean you know that it might happen someday but you just don't know when and the life keeps on going.

Take the second set of scenarios

1) You are on a three day vacation to a beautiful place, since we know it is a limited time do we tend to make the best out of it? I think, yes.

2) You have got Rs1000 to spend on a Sunday evening, it is told to you that you have to spend Rs1000, even if you don't you will lose it? Will you make the best out of it? I guess, yes.

3) You joined a collage and you are in the last semester, you know that it might be 3 or 4 months and your collage days are over. Do you tend to make the best in the last semester? Most probably, yes.

Does it means that if we have clarity or visibility we tend to enjoy it more? Why most of us are very curious to know our future?

Does the fear of unknown (in terms of you don't know when it will happen but you know it is going to happen) makes us not to make the best out of what we can?

Somehow I think if we know that this will happen at this date, we tend to make the best out of what we have in hand.

Then is it a bad thing to share with your employer as soon as you get visibility of your future road map?

I am sure people will have different opinions on this,one of the most common one might be "Well it depends on the employer...."

Don't you think that if you have visibility in terms of what you want to do in your life, you will be able to make the best out of it?

Don't you think that if you have your goal, your vision and your milestones which are bounded with specific quantifiable items (like date, amount etc etc) you will be able to enjoy it more?

Don't you think that if you take your life, your day, your present moment as the moment as you don't know what will happen next, you will be able to make the best out of it?

If you answer yes to any of the above questions, are you really doing it?

What is stopping you to make the best out of your life?

Rahul V Shah

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

boss really good one.

Jeetu snaghvi

Shunty said...
This comment has been removed by the author.